Salads are Patricia Bragg’s favorite meal. With additions such as fresh herbs, leftover rice, quinoa or cooked pasta, hard-boiled egg, grilled veggies, and goat cheese, you can turn simple salads into a hearty meal. To save time, buy pre-washed organic greens and feel free to substitute leftovers from your fridge for any of the ingredients below!
Here are six fast and easy ways to serve salads:
- Chickpea Tapas: Mix one can of chickpeas into shredded greens, thin slices of red onion, parsley and cilantro. Toss with organic olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Pasta Caprese: Toss 2 cups leftover pasta (preferably gluten-free!) into fresh greens and add chopped fresh tomatoes, toasted pine nuts, minced garlic, basil and goat cheese; season with olive oil, salt and pepper. Feel free to substitute quinoa or rice for the pasta.
- Dilled Egg Salad: Mix 1 tbs. vegan mayo,1 tsp. dijon mustard, dill, salt and pepper and stir in coarsely chopped hard-boiled eggs, salad greens and diced dill pickles.
- Miso-Tofu Salad: Blend grated fresh ginger (or use 1 tbs. ginger seasoning) with 3 tbs. miso, 2 tbs. water, 1 tbs. rice wine vinegar, 1 tsp soy sauce, 1 tsp agave and 1/4 tsp chili paste or seasoning. Blend in 1/2 cup olive or walnut oil and a squeeze of lemon, and drizzle over fresh greens, baby spinach and cubed tofu.
- Mix roasted or grilled veggies — squash, red peppers, eggplant, asparagus, carrots, whatever you love — with vinegar or lemon juice and organic olive oil, salt and pepper. Add sliced almonds or walnuts, 1 cup of cooked rice or quinoa, and toss over fresh crispy greens.Sliced, cooked chicken, shrimp or tofu adds protein. For extra spice, toss with 1/2 tsp cayenne and 1/2 tsp of minced garlic. Serve warm or cold!
- Beet and Goat Cheese Salad: Buy pre-steamed beets and cut into cubes, toss with olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper. Mix in fresh salad greens, chunks of goat cheese and a cup of sliced walnuts or pecans. Serve with leftover zucchini bread!
Enjoy these and let us know your favorite salad recipes!